Welcome to the german association of university professors and lecturers
The German Association of University Professors and Lecturers (Deutscher Hochschulverband, in short DHV) represents more than 30.000 members. It provides comprehensive information and services for university professors and up-and-coming academics in Germany.
Mission and goals
What the DHV stands for
The DHV was re-founded in 1950 as a continuation of the German Association of Universities, which was dissolved in 1936. It champions impartial academia in a liberal constitutional state and advocates the freedom and indivisibility of research and academic teaching.
The DHV actively contributes to university and educational politics in Germany. It acts in the political, legal and business interests of university teachers in opposition to state and society. It is particularly concerned with up-and-coming academics.
The work of the DHV serves the university teachers profession as a whole as well as the interests of each individual member. The DHV follows up legal and administrative measures with statements and proposals.
The DHV is a comprehensive service and information institution for German university teachers and up-and-coming academics.
What does membership offer?
- the monthly bulletin "Forschung & Lehre" (Research and Teaching) with articles and contributions of current interest from university life
- a subject related academic advertisement service providing regular notification of vacanct professor positions
- individual legal consultation in all aspects of university, civil service, employment and payment law as well as copyright, publishing and fiscal law
- a monthly e-mail newsletter containing, among other things, information about topics from the area of university politics and law as well as new publications
- access to current law and regulations, statements and lectures
- special offers and reductions with insurance companies, hotels, credit cards companies and more
- but above all: the representation of the professional interests of university teachers in opposition to state and society.
Becoming a member
Any university professor can become a member of the DHV*
* (university professor, professor at an academic college, professor at an academy of art and music, supernumerary professor, honorary professor, lecturers with postdoctoral degrees) at a university, an academic college or at an academy of art and music in Germany as well as any German professor at a university, academic college or at an academy of art and music abroad.
Any junior professor or person preparing a postdoctoral thesis can join the DHV.
Membership requires the approval of the executive board of the DHV. The applicant determines when membership should commence.
The DHV finances its work through its members subscription fees. The membership fees are graded according to working position at the university.
Notices of withdrawal take effect at the end of the calendar year, if they have arrived at the office by 1st Dezember of the respective year. Notices of withdrawal that arrive later take effect at the end of the following year.
Annual membership fees 2021:
- C4, W3, C3, W2: Euro 224,-
- all other professors and up-and-coming academics including those abroad: Euro 130,-
- professor emeritus, pensionary: Euro 121,-
Application for membership
Applicants, who do not (yet) fulfil the requirements for membership in the DHV (i.e. those holding or working on a doctoral degree, professors of universities of applied sciences without postdoctoral degrees), can sign a service contract with the DHV.
All up-and-coming academics can become members of the DHV after they have received their doctoral degree. On account of the unanimous decision of the 53rd. "Hochschulverbandstag" (annual conference) in Halle in 2003 not only junior professors but also academics working on postdoctoral degree are eligible for membership.
Becoming a member
Academics working on postdoctoral degrees, who have already signed a service contract with the DHV can, on application, become members of the DHV. Upon sending back the application for membership the service contract will be automatically transformed into membership.
For its members the DHV provides regular notification of all vacant professor positions in Germany, Austria and Switzerland ordered by the academic subjects. The DHV sends the complete advertisements of all vacant professor positions of the desired field of study to interested members.
The distribution of the advertising texts is carried out with the help of our databank and via e-mail.
The following mailing lists have been set up:
- Social Sciences (including Educational Sciences, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, Communication Sciences)
- Language and Cultural Sciences
- Art and Musical Science
- Sport Sciences
- Economic Science
- Computer Science
- Geo Sciences
- Civil and Structural Engineering (including Geodesy, Development Planning, Architecture und Construction Engineering)
- Mechanical Engineering (including Metallurgy, Mining and Materials Technology)
- Electrical Engineering
- Agricultural and Nutritional Science (including Forestry, Landscape Ecology and the Science of Food
- Veterinary Medicine
The subscription to the advertisements is a free service for members of the DHV.
Who can join the DHV?
According to § 2 paragraph 1 of the articles of association of the DHV every professor (university professor, professor at an academic college, professor at an academy of art and music, supernumerary professor, honorary professor, lecturers with postdoctoral degrees) at a university, academic college or at an academy of art and music in Germany as well as any German professor at a university, academic college or at an academy of art and music abroad can become a member. Any junior professor or person preparing a postdoctoral thesis during his/her qualifying phase according to the meaning of clause 1 can also become a member.
What does membership cost?
The membership fees are graded according to working position at the university.
In order to take the positions into account we request that you inform us of any fee-relevant changes. Otherwise, in accordance with the articles of association, a refund of surplus of fees is not possible.
Annual membership fees: See above.
Can I also join the DHV, if I work outside of the university area?
If you have a postdoctoral degree then membership is possible even with external employment. If this is not the case you can sign a service contract with the DHV, which offers the same services as regular membership.
Can I become a member as a university employee without a postdocotral degree?
If you are working on a postdoctoral thesis or have finished it then there is no obstacle to membership. If this is not the case, you have the possibility of signing a service contract with the DHV, which offers the same services as regular membership
What happens if I go abroad?
Employment abroad has no influence on your membership. After notification of your new address details we will send you the journal "Forschung & Lehre" (Research and Teaching) and all subsequent correspondence to your new address. If applicable only the membership fee will change. At the moment this amounts to Euro 125 a year for members living abroad.
At which point in time is a withdrawal of membership possible?
According to § 2 paragraph 2 of the articles of association of the DHV notices of withdrawal must be made in writing and take effect at the end of a calendar year, if they have arrived at head office by 1st December of that year. Notices of withdrawal that arrive later take effect at the end of the following year.
Can I let my membership rest for a certain period of time?
Unfortunately a resting membership is not possible. Membership must be terminated within the stipulated time limit for the end of the calendar year and has to be once more declared at a later point in time.
Is the membership fee reduced, when I retire?
Reduced subscriptions apply to retired professors. In the old West German states a professor emeritus and pensionaries pay a yearly subscription fee of 116 Euro. In the newly-formed German states the membership fee for pensionaries amounts to 83 Euro and 62 Euro for pensioned professors.
Is my membership fee tax-deductible?
For members in active service the membership fees are tax-deductible.
Do married couples where both spouses are members get a reduction?
Members, who are married to each other, can apply to the president of the DHV for a reduction of fees. The reduction amounts to 25 percent of the respective fee for each spouse.